The story of “Le Sacre’ Couer de Marie”, the Immaculate Heart of Mary, the Catholic Church that has been a Rutland landmark for well over a hundred years is related
here in great detail by Eleanor J. Elwert and James P. Mongeon.
In 1892 due to the large influx of French Canadians, beginning in 1850, a new marble church was built as a monument to the French Canadian Culture in Rutland.
The article illustrated with numerous pictures traces the development of the church from its earliest days beginning with its construction, an example of High Victorian Gothic style, and continues to describe its history and the various pastors who served it over the years.
It also examines the redecoration of the church in preparation for its 100th Anniversary of the church dedication, listing the contributions by the numerous pastors who were instrumental in leading the congregations. These are listed on the final pages of this fine account of one of the key churches in the Rutland Community.